Saturday, January 10, 2009

January 10 - 2009 10/365

My husband heard about this on the news today and picked me up after work so we could go see it and get some pictures.

It is very overcast and gray today, which is a shame because this sculpture is pretty amazing. Jerry Roiger of Fargo is a wood carver. He used the snow in his backyard and carved this into it. It took him about fifteen hours over five days with the help of his wife, Marlynda. You can tell by garage and car in the background how massive this sculpture actually is. I'm going to try to go over tomorrow night and get a photo of it in the dark when it is all lit up.
According to the Fargo Forum newspaper, Jerry Roiger has been waiting for enough snow to get to do this; calling it a Mount Rushmore style salute to the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. Here is the article in the Forum (local paper).
Here it is all lit up at night.








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man on man, I'm glad I here. It was cold and windy but no white stuff. lol

Andrea said...

Wow! I simply cannot imagine that much snow. Thanks for sharing that sculpture image and the story behind it Tammey! It is probably a good thing that it was overcast, that's the best light--especially if you're shooting snow!

Jessica Sell - Owner of A.E.P. said...

I saw this last night on my way to work and couldn't figure out what it was as I was driving on 7th to work. I forgot to check it out in the morning. He had a huge spotlight on it last night. Cool shot and I hadn't seen it in the paper yet so that was great to read!
Can you believe we are going to get more snow and -30 temps next week! Shesh feels like we are living in an Arctic Region.

Lanna said...

I love to see people honor our military! Thanks for sharing!

Pam said...

That's a cool sculpture. It must have taken forever to make. I wish WE would get some snow--just gray and dreary here.

Candy said...

That is very cool!