Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mar 27 - Drainage Ditch 27

I'll admit, I've been feeling pretty safe this week as I live in the south west part of Fargo right on the border of Fargo and West Fargo. The Red River is clear across town from me. I was listening to the radio at work and heard them talking about Drain 27 and how it was being diked due to rising water. I didn't know what it was, so I looked it up. It runs east and west and then turns south for a ways.

It is two blocks north of my house AND two blocks west! This body of water shown here is normally a little muddy trickle down in the bottom. So empty it couldn't even support mosquitoes! Yet here it is, the water is all the way to the top and climbing! You can see the sandbags on the right side of the photo, they've added several feet to the sides to accommodate the rushing, rising, icy, muddy water.

Here is a map showing where Drainage Ditch 27 is. Normally it is just a little, empty ditch. It was built to catch some of the overflow and help avoid flooding.


This year though, there is so much water that everything is full to the brim and in some places, over flowing. This last photo is the city adding just a little more protection to the dike around Drain 27. This is located north of 40th Ave south and west of 42nd St. (Just north of Ristreto's, Swansons and Microsoft)

No comments: